Visual Novel Review: A Simple Love Story

1/15/2015

Has it really been this long since I last posted here?

I'm really sorry for the delay! Man. "Sorry for the delay" sounds so much like my motto for the latter part of 2014, as I have made admittedly slow progress in so many visual novel related stuff for the past 5 months or so. I'm really hoping all of that will change in 2015, though! New year, new habits, new goals!

Anyway, as a busy college student, I haven't had much time to play visual novels, unfortunately, so I also apologize for all the unfinished requests out there. Believe me, I really appreciate all the suggestions you guys have given me, and I will do my best to make a review of your favorite visual novels sometime in the near future! Thank you so much.

I still do try to play the shorter visual novels though, as they provide me a good way to relax in the midst of all the normal college stuff-- term papers, projects, exams-- and I have one here that I recently played.

visual novel review a simple love story

A Simple Love Story does seem simple enough, but frankly, I don’t see the “love” part of the game. At the very most, I guess this game shows exactly what teenage romance looks—and feels—like.

And come to think of it, I think it’s a lot similar to wind. Almost always too fast, and rarely serious.

There are three characters in this story: the adorable Aceline, chatty Emily, and kinda antisocial Michael, who is also our narrator and main character.

visual novel review a simple love story

Granted, it’s like your typical bishoujo game with two cute girls to “choose” from, but the main character seems more like a "jerk" than anything. At least, that’s my honest-to-goodness first impression of him, and it got a little bit worse as the story progressed. For example, in the part where he was asking Aceline if he could walk her home, the truth is that he actually really wanted to leave and part ways with her. Oh man. Dude, there’s no need to pretend, okay? You and Aceline aren’t that close anyway.

visual novel review a simple love story

As the story progressed even more, though, I got to see another side of the protagonist. The less jerky, more loner-type side. Still, I didn’t like him all that much. He doesn’t seem like my type of guy, anyway, hahaha.

To be honest, though, the sweet scenes gave me that little fuzzy feeling, but only if I forget the fact that, hello, Michael, you’ve only just become friends with the girl. It’s a personal reason, but I’m really not a fan of whirlwind romances where you fall in love with a person you’ve just spent two or three dates with. Still, that fuzzy feeling is hard to deny! I did like the writing in this game, at least, even though the story felt a little rushed.

visual novel review a simple love story

Nevertheless, chocojax’s art is pretty as always, and I enjoyed all the different outfits. The backgrounds were also pretty good, despite the strange viewing perspective which made me think that Michael must be a really small guy for the viewing angle to look so low. Art-wise, though, I don’t have much complaints.

So, that’s about it. This visual novel is definitely simple enough, and it might as well be named A Simple Infatuation Story than anything else. Nevertheless, it was a pretty fun read. 7/10 strawberries.

You can check out this game here~

You Might Also Like

0 berries

Have some thoughts, opinions, or experiences to share?

(c) otometwist 2016. Powered by Blogger.