Visual Novel Review: Witch Spell

6/04/2013

Hi! I'm back, after quite a long time of not posting anything. Sorry about that.

Anyway, last night I downloaded this cute little visual novel at the Google Play Store, and it's entitled Witch Spell. :)

visual novel review witch spell

Thoughts:
- Story: Cute and fluffy. Even though it was quite short, I found myself smiling many times over the protagonist's quirks and general clumsiness. She was actually quite adorable. And I like her friend, as well. :)

However, the pace is a bit too fast for my liking. Like, they've only known each other for... what, a few minutes? Hours? And they were already "meant to be". It was as if the plot was moving for the characters, and not the other way around. Personally I like it better when visual novels are character-driven. ^^ That's not to say that this game doesn't have lovable characters! Quite the opposite actually. ^^ I found myself groaning at the protag's failures, but I can't help but share her sentiments. :) And I find Jin very adorable.

- Art: Simply fantastic. Especially the CGs! Oh my, they're really good. I took a few screenshots, but they're still on my phone, so I'm going to have to upload them some other time.

Anyway, I admire the artist for these works. They're just... so awesome you know. :) The art is done professionally, the GUI is clean, and I appreciate the chibis, which are so super duper cute. <3

- Music: Kevin McLeod music I believe, and it's also written in the credits. Teehee. Some people may not like the music selection because, I have to admit, they're pretty common nowadays, but I don't really mind. I think Mr. McLeod is a talented guy and I like his music.

- Err.... Technicalities: Okay, I don't know what to call this part so... haha, let's leave it at this.

Anyway, although the story is cute and all, I can't help but mention that sometimes the dialogue was a bit awkward. I'm a native Filipino speaker, and some jokes here are funny in my language, but not in English. I guess that's what makes it awkward.

(Example. The use of sarcasm, in Vice Ganda style, is quite funny when in Filipino, but not in English. At least, for me. "Hindi, hindi, wala ako dito, picture lang ako." The sarcastic reply, "No, I'm not here. I'm just a picture." sounds a bit... strange to me.)

Also, I didn't appreciate the "informal" speak, with loads of punctuation and stuff. It's not exactly a bad thing, it's more like a personal taste. :) I used to be a school paper editor before, and although in general, I'm not exactly strict when it comes to grammar and punctuation, I guess old habits die hard.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this game. :) The story is cute and I could actually relate to the protagonist well, and the dialogues were quite sweet. :) The scenes are also very good, and did I mention the art? It's absolutely fantastic. You won't be disappointed with the story either. ^^

I hope you guys try it out. It's available on Google Play Store, like I said. :)

You Might Also Like

0 berries

Have some thoughts, opinions, or experiences to share?

(c) otometwist 2016. Powered by Blogger.